Monday, April 26, 2010

It's Crunch Time!




No, not this crunch time silly...



This crunch time!
I got some good bars to tell you guys about!! Have you heard of Raw Crunch bars? I was sent some to try out and I'm glad I had the opportunity. First, a little about the bars. The core ingredients in each bar are organic, raw nuts and seeds. There's a little bit of raw honey but nothing artificial in these babies. Each bar is hand-made, uncooked and unprocessed. There are 4 different flavors: cranberry, blueberry, goji berry and dark chocolate. I was really pleased with the nutritional information in these bars. The only ingredients are organic sesame seeds, organic sunflower seeds, organic pumpkin seeds, organic cashews, organic blueberries, organic flax seeds, organic pecans, raw honey, organic macadamia nuts and Celtic sea salt. A single bar has a measly 150 calories (which I think is great for a bar packed with so much goodness), 10g of fat (but this is healthy fat, which we need), 3g fiber and 5g protein.


It all began in their little one bedroom apartment. At first it was a snack designed for our own healthy consumption. Ross and Kathy were both in the health industry, a national fitness competitor and a trainer of Muay Thai. They wanted real, live food, something that truly nourished the body, not something designed in a lab. They wanted a list of ingredients we could actually pronounce, because they knew if they couldn't pronounce it, it was just something else for your liver to detoxify.
The Raw Crunch recipe miraculously came to them one day, but it has taken them years to get just right. Their friends and family wanted a taste, so we started wrapping our bars in Saran wrap with a label on top. They were a huge hit! So they rented a kitchen, perfected the recipe, and improved the packaging.
This was 6 years ago, and they are still mixing up the same small batches fresh every day. Every Raw Crunch bar is hand-made fresh with a personal passion for excellence and quality that only a small cottage manufacturer can themselves can offer.
I love a company with a good story! I give their raw crunch bars a 9! The only reason why I took a point off is because these babies are expensive! Now, I know it is only because they use amazing ingredients but still. If you can though, find them at your health food store! That's what I did. I buy a few at a time and that way I don't break the bank! Totally worth every bite! My favorite was the cranberry and goji berry. They have even a chocolate one for ones that have a sweet tooth. You can buy 12 bars for 30 bucks on their website or even a sample 4 pack for 14.00. Seriously, these bars are outrageously good! I loved them all.



Thanks so much Kathy (gotta love a company whose owner contacts you directly) for letting me try these out, your product rocks! My favorite flavor was blueberry, naturally.


Go to their site!
you wont be sorry you did! I had this bar for breakfast and it really satisfied my hunger for quite sometime. I two thumbs up from me. I think if you try this bar out yourself you will feel the same way too! Let me know if you have had these bars before and which one is your favorite! I bet you will be surprised by the salty sweet combo that these bars offer. I love salty sweet things (like dark chocolate and sea salt) these bars have the perfect balance!

On to a different subject! I made more homemade hummus! You know I have pretty much been on a hummus and raw veggies kick for about 2 weeks now. Hugh's version I will admit is pretty darn amazing....AND ADDICTIVE (totally right Hugh, it was hard putting the stuff down). His recipe called for a southern favorite....boiled peanuts!


I could eat boiled peanuts for days on in....I could eat (and just might) eat this hummus for weeks! WOW!



Loved it, loved it, loved it!
Do you have a interesting way of making hummus? I always do the traditional hummus mix but after trying Hugh's version...my wheels are turning. I am thinking of all kinds of additions now. Thanks Hugh for turning my almost boring hummus into something really special!
Hope you all have a great day and I will be back with some pretty fantastic stuff tomorrow! All these hummus making has inspired me to make a "hummus" with something quite interesting...Just you wait!
-Heather