Thursday, July 22, 2010

Icelandic yogurt.

In case you haven't noticed I have been eating a lot of greek yogurt lately. Recently I recieved a TON of greek yogurt from Greek Gods and then Chobani sent me over a 12 pack to review as well. I LOVE greek yogurt and could possibly live off of it in the warmer months with fresh fruit.

I contacted Skyr.com to see if I could try out some of their yogurt since I have been eyeing the pretty package at EarthFare for weeks now. Since I have been trying different varieties of grek yogurt, I thought...what is one more?

I am so glad that I found Siggi's. Simply put, it is by far my favorite!



What is skyr?
Skyr is the traditional yogurt of Iceland. It is made by incubating skim milk with live active cultures. The whey, the water naturally found in milk, is then strained away to make for a much thicker, creamier, concentrated yogurt. So to make just one cup of skyr, with all that water going out, you need 3 - 4 times the amount of milk required to make a regular cup of yogurt. As a result of this process skyr comes out with 2-3 times the protein count of standard yogurt.



The history of skyr:
According to the Sagas, the original stories of the Norse Vikings, Icelanders have made skyr since settlers from Norway first arrived on the island in the 9th century. The word skyr is probably derived from the Icelandic word skera, which means to cut or slice–– a reference to the ideal thickness perhaps? The modern word for regular yogurt, jógúrt, didn’t exist in Icelandic until the 20th Century. Before then, regular yogurt was sometimes referred to as Búlgarst skyr, or ‘Bulgarian skyr,’ because of its popularity in Bulgaria.
Skyr was always, and is still, made from skim milk after the cream had been floated off to make butter. The skim was incubated with cultures and the resulting yogurt strained to take out the whey. Traditionally, the whey that subsequently came off the skyr was then used to pickle various foods in the summer to help last out Iceland’s long, arduous winters. Thus, skyr was part of a process that historically was centered on maximizing the yield and storage time of milk.
Skyr is a big part of the modern diet in Iceland. It has enjoyed a resurgence of kind in the past decades, in particular among athletes and the nation’s prominent musclemen as a highly coveted and convenient source of protein for them muscles!
Today, all Icelandic skyr is made from cow’s milk. Up until the 19th century, however, skyr was made from both sheep and cow’s milk. Siggi’s skyr is made solely from cow’s milk. Look at these ingredients! I decided to pick blueberry and the plain variety.
I LOVED both and in fact want to try out some other flavors, the orange ginger looks amazing! I should have went for a flavor that I have never had before but blueberry has yet to fail me.

If you want yogurt like none other with flavors that will burst on your taste buds try Siggi's. Go to their site! Just look at all they have to offer! They have a very fine selection of Greek yogurts. Out of all the yogurts that I have tried (and this is saying a lot) they win. So sorry to the others that I have tried recently but this company stands alone. I was out to find the best of the best and found it. I will continue to try others out but I must say....YOU had me at first bite.
With only 120 cals and more protein than carbohydrates I was sold. Just by the label. There are so many yogurts out there that is are filled with sugar. Even Greek Yogurt that is known to be higher in protein and lower in the sugar department I have found brands that were not so healthy. It was a hard to swallow when I looked at the back of one of the companies creamy yogurt to find that it had a whopping 310 cals and over 40 carbs for a cup. "I mean...I could eat pasta instead".
When I looked at the packaging, I was pleased. When I looked at the label, I was pleased. When I contacted them and within four days I had coupons in my hand, I was pleased. Most of all, when I took my first bite, I was pleased.

10 out of a 10 is my rating! Go to the site, if you don't believe me!




Thanks so very much to Virgina for being the sweetest and sending me in yogurt heaven! I am so in love with this stuff and shouting it from the roof tops! I work in a huge place and I have been telling everyone about this yogurt! You have to taste it to believe it! If you want food that you can feel good about....the perfect macro nutrients even....Go to Skyr!
Hope you all have a great day and thanks so much for the up lifting words to last weeks post! I dont know what I would do without my readers.
See you tomorrow for another review. This one will be sure to make you smile!
-Heather