Monday, July 19, 2010

Heya!

Hello all! Today is going to be a regular post! No reviews, just me! I cant believe that we are already in the middle of July! I feel as though this summer is passing me by. I have been trying my very best to take advantage of every summer activity possible. Swimming should become a part of every one's daily routine (I wish!). When it is 90+ degrees out you just don't feel like eating much. I am glad that I have been able to review some kick butt products because honestly, my food is pretty basic. I have been living off of fresh fruit, salads, raw nuts and yogurt. I know that is not a bad thing but when your a food blogger you kinda feel bad for food that lacks in the "wow" department. Non the less, I am pleased with my eats and I do want to share a few with you! Best breakfast in a LONG time!
Fresh Papaya, mango, lime and pom seeds with a drizzle of agave. DROOL!!! I am in love with Papaya and tomorrow's post will be devoted to the lovely berry. Did you know that Papaya is a berry? Well, I didn't either! Anyway, you are going to be amazed at the recipes that tomorrow's post will bring, trust me on this one!


I am loving fresh fruit in the mornings and honestly I am just listening to my body and giving it exactly what it wants, when it wants. A few hours later this beauty was consumed:

Avocado Soup!


Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 cups chicken stock or Veggie stock (I used vegitable stock)
6 ripe medium avocados, peeled, pitted, and diced (reserve pits)
5 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus more if needed
Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, plus extra for the garnish



To make soup: Heat oil in a large, heavy nonreactive pot set over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened and translucent, for 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add stock, 2 cups water, avocados, lime juice, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco; bring mixture to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Purée the soup in batches in a food processor, blender, or food mill, and return soup to the pot. (Or use an immersion blender to purée the soup in the pot.) Don’t worry if the soup is quite thick at this point. Add reserved avocado pits to soup, then cool, cover, and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight. After soup has chilled, you can thin it with cold water, using up to 1 cup (or more if needed), if soup is too thick. Taste soup and season with more salt and additional lime juice, as needed. (Chilled soups often need extra seasoning to intensify their flavor.)When ready to serve, remove and discard pits from soup. Drain the excess liquid from the salsa and stir in cilantro; season salsa with additional salt, if desired. To serve, ladle chilled soup into 6 bowls. Garnish center of each serving with some salsa and a dash of Tabasco. Serves 6Cooking Tips: The avocado pits come in handy in this recipe. When they are added to the puréed soup, they prevent it from turning a drab green.


It was amazing and I made a ton! I love chilled soups in the summer. I had to add something else to my diet besides nuts, berries and yogurt, I was starting to think that I would never eat anything else! I munched on some amazing un-pictured cherries throughout the day and decided that I needed some more veggies today. I needed a monster salad, pronto.



Of course my salad was packed with fruit. I don't know what is up with the massive craving for fruit lately but I am going for it. I added some tofu for protein and balsamic vinegar (the best dressing to go with fruit in my opinion). This was perfect. Cool eats in the summer heat makes me happy. I decided to end the day with something even more delightful. Dark Chocolate Covered Ginger and a organic beer that I have never tried before.
I am telling you folks, things are getting weird. I don't drink beer. I mean seriously, I don't. I prefer wine, sake or a light mixed drink. I LOVE beer more than all three combined but it doesn't usually agree with me. I can just look at beer and gain 5 pounds. I was at EarthFare the other day thought that this brand looked interesting. This beer was light but still had a bold taste. I loved every sip. Just one was enough. I am like a coffee drinker when it comes to beer. I love the taste and the smell of it. I don't drink for the buzz at all. This beer was like a fine cup of coffee. Smooth, bold and the perfect amount of spices. Loved it!

There you have it, my day in eating form anyway. Tomorrow's post will be chalk full of papaya recipes, get ready it is going to be GOOOOOOD! Hope you all had a great weekend. Mine went WAY too fast!
-Heather