Thursday, February 18, 2010

Holey Moley!

I got a sweet surprise in the mail the other day! When I say sweet I mean SWEET!!! The kind folks of Holey Donuts really went all out! They sent me some of their favorites which quickly became mine!

Back in 1958, my father was literally one of the first franchisees with what is today the world’s most successful donut chain. Spending my childhood in the back of a donut shop eventually led to me running and owning my own donut shops. Always having a love for donuts, I set out to create a donut like no other; something that would elevate donuts to a new level; something more high-end, more gourmet, and really just the best donut you could make. Then one day, I walked away from the deep fat fryer and began to actually cook my donuts in a different way. Then at first bite, I said "HOLY $#!%, these are really good!" Thus, the name Holey Donuts!

Having a feeling that these donuts had to be very low in fat, we sent samples off to an FDA approved lab for testing… low and behold, they had less than 3 grams of fat. Wow, we were just amazed at the light, fluffy taste, texture and light color (which is the way donuts actually look before they are fried in that same dirty oil over and over again). From there, it was a story of dedication and perseverance to do whatever it took to succeed and bring these great tasting, guilt free treats to the world. After all, the Wall Street Journal put it best when they said "Food companies have been able to take most of the fat out of everything from cheese to Twinkies. But no one has succeeded in designing a marketable low-fat doughnut."

I got a box of three different assortments and I couldn't wait until I tried them. I am not kidding when I say that. The box was un opened for about 3 minutes before I couldn't take it anymore! The first one that I tried was:
Jumbo Reduced Fat Blueberry Cinnamon Rolls!!!!

They begin by mixing their batter, then two bakers roll large pieces on our baking tables, roll out the dough, cut the pieces, hand fold in the apple filling mixture, then apply a generous amount of the finest imported ground cinnamon. After these decadent looking cinnamon buns go through our special computer controlled cooking process, each cinnamon bun gets a coat of rich, fat free glaze, then a delicious ribbon of homemade vanilla frosting is elegantly draped over the top of each hand crafted, fresh baked treat. Finally they flash freeze our cinnamon buns to lock in that homemade goodness and just baked fresh flavor, before we hand pack and ship them to you in our special thermal coolers via FedEx.

Jumbo Reduced Fat Gourmet Cinnamon Buns have 80% less fat and fewer than half the calories of the 700 to 1100 calorie ones you
find at those sweet smelling shops at the mall. Holey Donuts! Jumbo Reduced Fat Gourmet Cinnamon Buns not only taste delicious and
wonderful, but have only 5 grams of total fat compared to the 24 to 50 grams of fat you could be wearing home after a "traditional"
cinnamon bun snack at the mall! Many people actually cut our Jumbo Reduced Fat Cinnamon Buns in half because they are so large, which
would give you a snack with less than three grams of total fat.
Check out Holey Donut's Cinnamon Rolls Vs Cinnabon


What is the best way to serve and eat the donuts once they arrive?
Answer: We want you to love our donuts as much as we do. Please follow our suggestions so that you have the best possible Holey Donuts! experience. Place in freezer upon arrival and keep frozen. Do not refrigerate or leave donuts exposed to open air for long periods of time. Our donuts are best served slightly warm and moist.

These were amazing! I LOVE blueberry and I have to say. It wasn't that fake blueberry taste that you get with most pastries. No way...It was a real blueberry taste that was divine! I popped mine in the microwave for about 1 minute and it was the sweet warm bedtime snack that I needed. I couldn't help myself the next morning and open the next box:

Low Fat Cinnamon Strudel Assortment #14
Price $11.95

Cinnamon is a close second favorite for me. I literally eat cinnamon on about three different things a day. I love it in my soups, yogurt and hot coco. This was like a cinnamon coffee cake. It too warmed up a bit was heaven. Thankfully I had some friends over for the weekend and on Saturday morning I surprised them with these! I love to share my gifts and they were so happy to see what was inside the white box when I opened it. Even I was a little surprised to see how pretty these donuts were!
In the box:
Reduced Fat Fudge Boston Cream
Reduced Fat Raspberry Vanilla Truffle
Reduced Fat Caramel Apple
Reduced Fat Blueberry Crumbcake
Reduced Fat Lemon Graham Cracker Low Fat Vanilla
Price $11.95

I had the Lemon graham cracker and the rest was had by roomies and friends. I asked them to give a brief description on what they thought. Here are some of the answers!
"These taste like they were just baked this morning..."
"Oh my GAWD, these are good!"
"So moist and light, I can tell these are way better for you than D&D or Krispy Kreme."
"I think that I am in love!"

This were just a few comments but you better believe that they kept on coming. I had a ton of questions like "where do I buy these?" I told them where to go and even posted it on my facebook so that they would all know right where to go. If you would like to know where you can experience the Holey Grail of Donuts, please go to their site!

Holey donuts get a 10 from me and I have to say, BEST DONUT EVER! I am enjoying every last bite! I hope that they keep me on their list of bloggers to send new flavors! I am in love with these and it does not hurt that it is a donut that I can actually feel good about eating. I am so happy to tell you about them and hope that you will get a box for yourself. They have so many to choose from. I bet you wont be able to decide on just one flavor. Please tell me what you think about these if you order them for your self and if you tried a flavor that I have yet to taste. I am interested in the others!
I wanted to remind you all about my give-a-way!!!


I am announcing the winner on Friday morning so you better get on it!
See you all tomorrow....By the way...I have just 9 more days before I move into my very own place! I am so excited!
-Heather