Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Eve is Here!!!

Well...I am not even going to say it again. Wait! I will. WHERE HAS THIS YEAR GONE? I remember being funny to customers and saying "Christmas will be here before you know it!" in July...I was thinking to myself as I joked (only old people say things like this.) Well, call me Grandma Heyn, it is true. I have no idea where 2009 has gone and how we have already gotten to Christmas but we have. It doesn't feel like Christmas Eve at all. I am sure that it will when I see my family in just a few hours.
This morning I do have to work however we thought it would be fun to have a little Christmas breakfast! There is some AMAZINGLY good food here and I made something that I have never made before. It turned out great!
Cranberry Almond Granola!
Ingredients
-1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
-1/4 cup sunflower seeds
-Nonstick cooking spray
-1/3 cup maple syrup
-2/3 cup packed brown sugar
-1/2 cup unsweetened cranberry juice
-1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
-2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
-1/2 cup chopped roasted and salted almonds
-1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
-1 cup dried cranberries

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Spread the pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds on a baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until lightly toasted. Set aside to cool.
Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
In a small saucepan, combine the maple syrup, brown sugar, cranberry juice, and cinnamon over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar has dissolved.
In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and salt.
Pour the maple mixture over the oat mixture and stir until combined. Spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Stir in the cranberries and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes until the mixture begins to brown. Cool completely. Store airtight in a plastic container for up to 1 week. I think it looks so pretty in a mason jar! Wrap a ribbon around it and it becomes a instant homemade gift from the heart!
Lets get even closer!
I broke up the granola into large chunks so that people could eat it by it's self. I LOVE granola on yogurt, cottage cheese and even as a cereal.
See, granola is VERY diverse. You could even use this as a pie crust! The list can go on!
Here is what it looks like if you were to make homemade granola bars!

What will you be having for breakfast Christmas morning?
Don't wait until lunch or dinner. Try to keep your schedule as you usually do. One meal is all that you need to indulge in. There is no reason to go all out three times that day.
I hope you all enjoyed my recipe, my review and my Christmas wishes!I wish you all a very Merry Christmas. I know that I will be with my family which = love, laughter and thankfulness for the ones I care so deeply for. Life is good and this New Year will be bringing a whole new beginning for many. I know that I am ready.
I will not be posting until Tuesday the 29th. I will be missing you guys though and don't worry...I will be excited to share my Christmas with you all!
Love,
Heather