Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Wine anyone? Yes, please!!!

Review time my friends!!!
This is me as happy as can be with a FANTASTIC glass of red. I couldn't be any happier! The folks at Organic Wine Trade Company sent me over three bottles of wine and I will be doing a three part blog on each wine as I am able to try them out. So stayed tuned for the other two. Dad I would love to share one of these bottles with you if you would like! This would be a good birthday treat if I can make it down there ;)


MALBEC
Argentina
Mendoza
2007
Malbec
(95% Malbec & 5% Bonardo)
Mendoza, Argentina is a
narrow strip lining the foothills
of the Andes from Cafayate
Valley north to Patagonia
south. The grapes are grown
on vines of 90+ years in age
in a soil composite of clay and
loam. The grapes are hand
harvested at the end of march.
They are gently destemmed,
crushed and fermented for 7
days at 25˚C-28˚C.
Tasting Notes
Fairhills Malbec offers jammy, plum aromas that lead into rich, dense fruit with a touch of cherry and cranberry.
Vineyards
Fairhills Malbec is produced with handpicked Fair Trade Certified™ grapes sourced from the Mendoza, Argentina. The grapes are grown on vines 90 years in age in a soil composed of clay and loam. The region has both coastal and mountain influences and soil in this area is a mix of sandstone and granite with marl, making for an ideal terroir. The climate is cold winters and very hot summers, but the altitude creates a moderate climate.
Stuffed California Dates with an array of butters (walnut, cacao,pecan and macadamia nut butter) sprinkled with sunflower seeds and cinnamon.
I decided to go with a Dubliner Irish stout cheese and a Reserve Cheddar that has been aged for over two years.
Other pairings were Turkish Pistachio's, Gluten free party chex mix and 70% Dark Chocolate infused with sea salt. These were the perfect pairings in my mind for this wine. It truly a delight to try this wine. It was me and another person so I didn't want to have too many snacks but I have to say...The ones that I did have were p-e-r-f-e-c-t! I let the bottle breathe a bit before tasting it. When I poured my glass I leaned in to smell the aromas of the wine and was surprised....I really could smell the cherry and cranberry. A very smooth wine as well. This would be a great wine to go with cured meats I think as well. My friend that I had over is a vegetarian so I had to go with what I knew would be a hit. I asked many questions of him to see his take on it. I wrote them down as well. Peter said "This wine not only tastes great it is something that you can feel good about drinking as well". With it being fair trade and organic I had no problem with having a glass or two. "I also like that it has a screw on top! If I wanted to take this wine to a picnic it would be one less thing to worry about, I am infamous for being the wine and forgetting the cork screw." That is something that I didn't even think about and totally agree! It is nice. I asked him to rate the wine out of 10 and he said "9!" I totally agree. I would give it a 9 as well. I liked that it was light and smooth. I like a wine that could go with many different foods and this one is light enough that you can have it on it's own or with a meal. All in all a fantastic wine! I cant wait to try the others. In fact another wine that really caught my eye on the web site is OKO, that looks to be a amazing wine as well! At any rate if you are in the market for a wine that you can enjoy and feel good about please visit their site!

They have some amazing wines and I am sold! Check them out!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hate to even break this post with my boring Tuesday routine but it is what I do!
This morning I woke up at 6:00 a.m. to go to Physical therapy and then head off to work. I did however stop by a local store here in Athens and pick up the doctor a nice cup of coffee and a fancy donut. When I got to work I had a cup of joe and uploaded my pics!
Nothing like a gooooood cup of coffee (thanks Dean's Beans!). By the time I had gotten to work and sipped on my coffee, opened e-mails and returned some phone calls my stomach was talkin to me! So I had this little baby!I had 3 egg whites on sprouted bread with fresh basil and some Romain lettuce with a touch of veganese. Delish! This bread really hold me over. I will be set until about 12:00 when I will be partaking in this combo. Weird but still really gooood! KOMBUCHA! homemade by me!!! Oh yes, you read that right. I am making it now and I have to say I am in aw of the health benefits that I am getting. Thanks to Katalyst Kombucha for sending me some of theirs I know now what to make it taste like. I had sent out e-mails trying to get some for some time and no one responded so I said what the heck...I will make my own. 14 days later! I have my first batch and it has already made a baby!!! I think that I am going to have a whole family soon. Health benefits from kombucha include:



A probiotic is a live bacteria that helps populate the large intestine with friendly bacteria known as gut flora, which dissolve harmful micro-organisms and cholesterol. Scientific research shows the benefits of Kombucha, whose high concentration of probiotic-rich Kombucha Benefits: Organic Acid Profile">acids can provide a powerful energy boost, and detoxify and cleanse the blood of disease-causing toxins, allowing the body to alleviate a wide spectrum of ailments and conditions; from the mildest indisposition to the most serious diseases.
Sense of well-being
Helps to relieve congestion in airways
Thicker hair
Energy boost
Helps osteo arthritis
Licked Calcifying tendinitis
Helps with asthma
Regulates Intestines.
Aides digestion - especially on top of diary.
Eliminates or reduces heat rash.
Improved circulation
Clears and Improves skin
Flattening and fading old age carotene patches on the face.
stops severe menstrual cramps
Reduces / stabilizes blood pressure.
Prevents and helps heal bladder infections
Eases carpal tunnel syndrome
Hair and nails grow faster
Cleanses toxins from the system
I really want to try out other types of kombucha on the market and one that I have my eye on is Gaia's kombucha. Maybe they will send me out some samples! I also had Katalyst Kombucha's Ginger Devotion and it was amazing! The best one yet! Thanks so so so much! I had the kombucha with some hummus and a green bell pepper sliced. Sorry no picture of this. I am going to to the the gym on my lunch break and walk on the treadmill as directed and then come back to the office to have this!
A spicy black bean burger salad! I cant wait! After eating something spicy I have to have something sweet and this is my favorite go to treat! I LOVE this and I know that you have herd it a million times, but I do.


What is for dinner?


Straight from a co-workers garden! Yellow beans, asperagus and I made some garlic tofu to go with it. It is going to be goooood! I am also going to have a few slices of watermelon and then call it a night. I will be beat by 10:00 tonight since I woke up so early today. I am thinking that tomorrow is going to be a good day and with thoughts like those how could it not? I hope you enjoyed my review and thank you again Jon for being the greatest and sending me the wines! Your the best!
-Heather