Saturday, August 21, 2010

Pre-going out eats.

Good Morning! I know that it is Saturday and all but I just had to post my pre-going out meal. I always try my best to eat a good meal before I go out. When you know that you are going to be drinking it is wise to do so. I decided at the last minute that I wanted stuffed chicken. Because I only had about a hour before I needed to shower and get ready I had to make due with ingredients that I had already on the kitchen. This is a twist to the ever so traditional stuffed chicken. Not bad if I do say so myself!


Butter bean and apricot-stuffed chicken

Ingredients
1/2 cup chopped feta (about 75g)
2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts
3 tablespoons diced dried apricots
1 quantity herby onion and butter bean mix*
4 free-range chicken breasts, skin removed
sea salt and pepper, to taste



Instructions
Step 1 Preheat oven to 190ÂșC. Put feta into a bowl with hazelnuts, apricots and herby onion and butter bean mix. Mash together with a fork.

Step 2 Cut each chicken breast in half horizontally without cutting all the way through. Open chicken breast and season with salt and pepper. Spread stuffing across one half of each breast. Close each piece to encase filling.

Step 3 Put on an oven tray and roast for 20-25 minutes until golden and cooked through. Serve with steamed vegetables and potatoes.

*Herby onion and butter bean mix
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pan. Add 1 sliced red onion, 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds and 1 tablespoon chopped thyme. Cook gently for 15 minutes, stirring, until onion is soft. Add 400g can butter beans (drained and rinsed). Mix well and season with salt and pepper.

Recipe Information
Portions: 4

Time to make: 35 minutes

Total cost of all ingredients: $29.36 / $7.34 per serve

Gluten-free (or can be made gluten-free*)

This was perfect! It was light enough to where I didn't feel over stuffed but heavy enough that I was able to have a few drinks and not feel too woozy. I just wanted to stop by and say hello!

I know I am going to get a million e-mails asking about this out adventure...you will have to wait and see if there is more of these in the future :)

-Heather