Friday, June 18, 2010

What I am reading NOW.

My blog is not just about food and feelings or fitness and well being. My blog is about me! Food and fitness is a large part of my everyday life so that's why most of my posts are related to this subject but it is not limited to them. I have posts that range from stories from my past to homemade wrapping paper! I try to include it all and nothing is off limits to me. I am a super private person but for some reason the blog allows me to just let it all out. The odd thing is, I don't really care. That is not to say that I don't wonder how many of you actually live in my area and see me from time to time. I think to myself..."does this person read my blog?" It is odd to think that a stranger where I live knows just about everything about me from my eats to my routine. I have been told by people close to me that I should be careful, that I could end up with a stalker or something. Well, you can try but I doubt that you would want to ;)


I pretty much wake up (or before going to bed) and write about what I am thinking, what I am feeling, or what I did for the day. I have had the pleasure of reviewing hundreds of products, met tons of other bloggers and shared recipes with the world! My dream is to work for a company that I am passionate about and travel around spreading the word/promoting the product and maintain a blog for their site telling about my journey. This is my dream. I have nothing bogging me down and the idea of me traveling the world with my laptop and a product that I love would be amazing. It doesnt have to be one in particular product...It could be anything as long as I feel strongly about it. This will happen for me, hopefully one day soon. I don't know how it will happen but it will.


Do you remember when I was house sitting recently? Gosh that feels like forever a go bit it wasn't. When I was at the house I was kinda stuck with nothing to do. No television, no computer, nothing. One thing that was pretty cool was the person that I was sitting for is a writer. Upstairs to her house is pretty much devoted to a pleasant space for writing and storage for her books. I decided that upstairs would be off limits for me mainly because I felt like it was her "special place". Well about two days in...that went out the window. It was my rule anyway so I could break it. On day three after literally sitting in the "living room" and staring at the dog for about 2 hours I said enough was enough! I had read all the magazines that I brought with me and because my laptop was not movable I was stuck without any entertainment. I went upstairs. When I got up there I was so excited! There was three walls filled with books! I almost jumped for joy (ok, I did). I started looking around and quickly realized that every single book was about writing. She must of had hundreds of books. All of which appeared to be about the art of writing or old literature and poetry. I looked through every shelf to see if she had anything that looked good to me and to my surprise....I couldn't find anything. There is one thing that you guys already know...I am NOT a writer. I like the blog (and I think you do to) because of my informal writing and I want it to be written as though I am talking to you. Not perfect, just me. I have misspelled a million words and if a real writer read my blog I think that at times they would cringe. I use slang and I even make up my own words if I think it fits. I am trying to build my own writing style and the blog has helped tremendously. I thought at that moment "this is the reason for me being here!" "I have been given two weeks to read books like "the basics of writing", "how to entice your readers", "how to create your own writing style" and "read this, write that." I grabbed a couple books and thought "This is it! I am off to becoming a great writer which will make my readers want to come back for more!" At that moment I laughed and thought..."If I had a library the whole thing would be filled up with self help books!" It's sad, but it's true. I thought "where the heck is her section of self help??? I mean, everyone has at least one or two right?" At that moment I decided to lay down. For some odd reason the fluffy carpet said "come on, you know you just want to lay on me!" I did. I crawled down on the floor with two books in my hands and I laid on my back. I put the books beside me and just closed my eyes for a moment. When I opened my eyes I turned my head to the right and there, on the floor all the way to the right on the very last row of books was the words "The Power of Now." I couldn't believe it...Hundreds of books all about writing and literature and I happened to find the one small section of hidden self help books. She had about 7 of them. They all were about Zen, meditation and teachings from philosophers. The Power of Now was in my hands and I opened it quickly. The first paragraph read.


To make the journey into the Now we will need to leave our analytical mind and its false created self, the ego, behind. From the very first page of this extraordinary book, we move rapidly into a significantly higher altitude where we breathe a lighter air. We become connected to the indestructible essence of our Being, “The eternal, ever present One Life beyond the myriad forms of life that are subject to birth and death.”


I was hooked. I was happy to see that the book was only about 200 pages and I knew that I could read the whole thing before the end of my house sitting job. Every night I read and it was better and better by the word. I LOVED this book and it changed the way I think. I have read many books about this subject but feel like this Author really "gets it" and his wording is perfect. After this book I decided that I would continue to read others written by him. I bought this book last week from Amazon.com.
It is amazing. I am not going to get into the book just yet with you (as I have only been through a couple of chapters) but I wanted to invite you to read this book with me and I thought it would be fun to have a book review of sorts when I get done. This is a purchase worth making for sure!
Building on the astonishing success of The Power of Now, Eckhart Tolle presents readers with an honest look at the current state of humanity: He implores us to see and accept that this state, which is based on an erroneous identification with the egoic mind, is one of dangerous insanity. Tolle tells us there is good news, however. There is an alternative to this potentially dire situation. Humanity now, perhaps more than in any previous time, has an opportunity to create a new, saner, more loving world. This will involve a radical inner leap from the current egoic consciousness to an entirely new one. In illuminating the nature of this shift in consciousness, Tolle describes in detail how our current ego-based state of consciousness operates. Then gently, and in very practical terms, he leads us into this new consciousness. We will come to experience who we truly are—which is something infinitely greater than anything we currently think we are—and learn to live and breathe freely.
Hopefully you will pick up this book or start off with The Power of Now. If you are wanting a great summer read these are both great!
Let me know if you are in! I would love to take this book three chapters at a time and even have a discussion with you all about it and what you got from it! I know that this has been done before but I just found it and maybe I have brought attention for the first time to you about this Author. Hopefully so!
I will be back on Monday and will have all sorts of great things to write about. I hope you all have a great day and a wonderful weekend!
-Heather