Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Zadies knows best.

When Janice Freed started making her own granola she wasn't thinking about starting her own business, she just wanted to eat some granola that was good tasting and good-for-you . Her interest in good- for-you foods is the real thing (you can tell at first bite).

It's always fun to see a passion turn into a profitable business, and that is exactly what Janice and Shelley Freed are doing with Zaydie's Granola.


I was lucky enough to get these two wonderful bags of granola from Zaydie's Granola!

This company makes homemade granola out of Richmond Virgina. I have to say. I got this spoon out and tried the Walnut Cranberry first. One spoon became another which turned into this.

I decided that instead of dipping my spoon into the bag (I knew that if I kept on half the bag would be gone) I would just go ahead and have 1/2 cup of granola with 1/2 cup of greek yogurt. I thought at first "I should add some cinnamon, maybe some fresh fruit to the mix." I didn't and was so glad that I made that decision. It was perfect! Just like the bag says, it was sweet but not too sweet. Just the way I like it. I am totally addicted to this granola. So many times when you see granola you see these HUGE chunks of oats and dried fruit held together by sugar, oil and butter. Not the case with Zadie's! There are plenty of "chunky goodness" it is more of a loose mix. I like that because I could tell that it was just simple ingredients and wasn't they weren't going for a sugar laden cereal of sorts. What I also like about this granola is because it is not so bulky I can use it in more ways that just to top my yogurt. I can make homemade power bars, have it as a cereal, top my yogurt, mix in my pancakes, have on fruit or even eat alone.

I opened the other bag (Blueberry Almond) and of course was just as delighted! After I opened both huge bags of granola I realized..."Heather, you now have two huge bags open and ready for you to eat." Ahhhhh! I was scared for a second (don't leave me with granola...it's gone in minutes). I had a idea though! After a few seconds of thinking I decided, why not put them in a jar so that they could last? Well that is just what I did. As you can see above, I got a jar and filled it with my precious granola. I was going to mix the two together but decided on having two seperate mixes! The more the better, right?

I have been eyeing this granola recipe and decided that I would just make my own using one of my favorite bloggers ideas!

Easiest Zadie's Granola Bars Ever

INGREDIENTS:
- 1 1/2 cup Zadie's Granola

- 1 tbsp flour

- 1/2 cup tbsp Agave or Honey

- 2 egg whites

DIRECTIONS:Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl until evenly distributed. The granola should stick together but no liquid should pool at the bottom (if there is excess liquid, add another tablespoon of Zadies granola).
Pour the granola out into a small baking pan lined with parchment paper and mold it into the shape you want (I used my fluted tart shell because it was nearly the perfect size, and the fluting wouldnt show through the parchment paper).


Bake for about 35 minutes, or until granola is lightly browned on top and no longer feels wet. Allow to cool, and cut into bars.
I stored these in plastic wrap and it ruined their texture. Eat them within a day or two, or store them in an airtight container, not too close together, unrefrigerated, for up to a week.
Makes 8 small granola bars.



Mine turned out just like hers! I was sooooo excited to make my first batch of the easiest granola bars ever! The best part....knowing that they were made with Agave and had absolutely no added oil or butter! YAY! I used a mix of the Blueberry and the Cranberry Granola and couldn't of made a better batch. I am so happy to that I STILL have some left over for topping whatever I want with the wonderful mix!

Zadie's Granola is amazing. If you want sweet but not too sweet granola that will knock your socks off, you want Zadie's. Please go to their site to see for your self. They have a list of stores that carry their mixes and I would seriously look for them if I were you! You can buy Zadie's Granola here:

abesmarket.com

I give them a 10! Thanks Shelly for being so great and sending me some of the best granola I have ever tasted! You guys totally know what you are doing!

Hope you all have a great day!

-Heather