Tuesday, March 16, 2010

leathers, granola and sprouted seeds...



Let me tell you about kaia foods: Kaia foods was founded with the belief that our health is best supported by eating an abundance of minimally processed whole foods. We sprout, mix and dehydrate our organic foods at low temperatures so that they remain 'raw.' No baking, frying, bleaching, or weird processing steps!
They keep it simple: That's their philosophy towards food and their philosophy towards life. Eat whole foods for great health. Exercise daily. Laugh and smile often. Hug everyone. Be mindful of your choices and their impact on the earth. The keys to health and happiness are really that simple.

Their story: Kaia foods was born in the summer of 2006 when Nick was hiking in the Weminuche Wilderness of Colorado with his friends Nina and Billy. Somewhere just below the tree line on a sun-drenched day, inspiration struck. I decided to leave behind the world of finance and follow my dream to make minimally processed, truly healthy food more readily available to everyone and have fun doing it. Fifteen seconds later he passed a horseshoe on the trail (no joke!) and he interpreted it to be a good sign for the journey ahead. I loved reading this! People that follow their hearts make me smile. No matter what it is! I am so glad that I found Kaia Foods...I got this in the mail!

Here's a run down of their product list:

organic buckwheat granola: Made with sprouted buckwheat, sprouted walnuts, sprouted sunflower seeds, sprouted pumpkin seeds, coconut, ground flax seeds, and agave nectar, plus dried fruits and seasonings - our innovative buckwheat granola is delicious as a snack or as a cereal!
organic sprouted sunflower seeds: All we do to our sunflower seeds is sprout, season and dehydrate them at low temperatures instead of roasting them. The nutrients and great taste stay intact and aren't processed away.
organic fruit leathers: To make our fruit leathers we puree whole organic fruits and dehydrate them at low temperatures, without adding sugars or concentrates. Yum!

I they sell a variety of amazing granola. Cocoa Bliss Buckwheat granola was the one they sent me . This bag of granola was dipped into several times once opened.
OMG!!! OH SO GOOOOOOOD!

Check out the nutritional facts:


I like that I can have a whole half cup of granola! Usually a serving of granola is 1/4 cup and has just as many calories. All flavors of the granola look amazing. I am totally going to try the others out.

I also got a variety of sprouted seeds.

Take a salad and sprinkle it with some of these...
Sprouted seeds!
This is a fairly simple wheat berry salad that I saw and knew that the garlic sea salt sunflower seeds would be the perfect topper. I LOVE wheat berries and I LOVED these seeds sprinkled throughout this salad.

Kaia sunflower seeds really turned my simple (sometimes boring) salads into awesomeness! With flavors like Garlic & Sea Salt, Teriyaki, Sweet Curry (my Fave) and Cocoa Molé you seriously can turn something bland into grand. Loved. Them. So. Much.
The sweet curry flavor was amazing with this dinner!!!
When I read the words "sweet curry" for some reason jasmine rice came to mind. Just knowing that sweet curry sunflower seeds were sitting in my cupboard was driving me crazy. It was so cold (where the heck is Spring?) and I thought "I better get all my cozy winter foods out of my system". So to the kitchen I went. With my comfy rob on and knowing that I was in for the night (yes, curry Saturday's alone with a bottle of red is how I roll) I started pulling items that I didnt even know that I had! I used things like coconut oil and coconut milk (mmmmmm). I used a twist with my usual green bean curry and subbed them for okra. I saw this on another site and thought "this could be the answer to my fried okra craving!" I love okra but I must say, picked or fried is usually the only way that I eat it. You have to really know what you are doing in the kitchen to have sauteed okra that doesn't turn into a gooey mess. Luckily, I know my way around. I blenched these to perfection and with crunchy carrots, Yukon gold potatoes, chick peas and sweet curry sunflower seeds. I. was. in. curry. heaven. Curry's make my heart skip a beat (I seriously can make mine hotter than hell) and so very glad to have this meal with the best sprouted seeds ever!

I got two flavors of these sweet treats in the box as well.
Fruit Leathers was a nice surprise!
I had never tried fruit leathers before. I have seen them in stores but never bought one. Kaia Fruit Leathers are like fruit roll-ups but all natural.
Why didn't they have these when I was a kid???
Vanilla Pear and Spiced Apple are the two that I received.
I really thought these were fun! I loved that I could throw one in my bag and have it for a snack whenever I wanted. These will be in my life for sure from now on! Lime Ginger, Spiced Apple, Goji Orange and Vanilla Pear are the flavors that they offer and they all look great.
Pretty good facts if you ask me!

As part of their mission to improve quality of life through proper nutrition they invest 1% of sales in fighting hunger. They currently donate to The Hunger Project and to the United Nations World Food Program. I love it when I hear of a company that gives back! They rock!
PLEASE go to their site!

You will want to try something as soon as you click the link ;)

They also have this amazing recipe down loadable booklet!


I LOVED Kaia Foods and THANK them so much for allowing me to try out their truly amazing products! Heidi, you rock!

You guys get two thumbs up from me!!
-Heather