Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I love my readers!!!

Thanks so much for this video testimonial!!!!






I got this via e-mail the other night and it just made my night! Traverse Bay Farms...If you like Cherry Juice go here. THANKS so much for this video! You made my whole night. Andy, you rock!



After getting this and realizing that I have it good I decided....why not just make a breakfast that only the blog world would respect.

RESPECT.


Oh yeah... This my friends is the breakfast of champions...Protein, fat and carbs. P-E-R-F-E-C-T (in my world anyway).This fueled me through the workout from HELL. 4 egg whites (hidden spinach, red onion, garlic and red pepper inside) with aged cheddar cheese atop, sliced strawberries, fig and kiwi along side. I did have a huge mug of 1000 faces coffee to go with, naturally.


After the breakfast that kept me going and going I decided to try something right before the gym today.

GU Chomps utilize GU Energy Gel's proven blend of carbohydrates, amino acids, antioxidants and electrolytes to make a chewable form of GU. Each packet contains 2 servings. Ok, so I am on NO supplements...NONE AT ALL. I don't even take a vitamin.You are talking to someone (ok not talking purse really but reading) who use to literally spend hundred's of dollars a month on supplements. I use to time it to the T when I would pop another pill or drink another shake. Back when I was competing I would even wake up in the middle of the night and eat three egg whites to preserve and gain muscle. It did only one thing...drain my bank account. I took so many different supplements that I had to use a flat tackle box to keep them all with me. HA! It is funny now but I know I looked like a freak back then. I was ripped though...That was what I wanted back then. I wanted to be a body builder/figure competitor. Can you believe that?!? Ha! I just wanted to push the envelope and see just how fit my body would get. Well...2 years of training and absolutely no fun eating I had a 8 pack, veins popping out of my arms and legs and the tightest butt in Georgia. One thing though....It is impossible to keep it up for life. I had no life. My life was training, eating and sleeping. For real. After two long years of hard work I decided that I needed a happy medium, that it wasn't worth it all in the end. I could still be super fit AND not drain my account of funds. I had read about vegan and even raw foodist that were ripped with no help from supplements. I was scared...I didn't know what I would do if I wasn't popping pills, drinking shakes and counting grams of protein (I use to aim for 200 grams of protein a day....gross). I just did it. Cold turkey. Limited my meat intake, completely stopped the Whey Protein, stopped the pills (L-Glutamine (for recovery), CLA and L-Carnatine (amino acids and fat burner), BCAA's (branch chain amino acids), MSN (sleeping aid), Super Pump (to jack me up before getting in the gym), The ultimate meal (a shake with every vitamin under the sun in it), I would actually still have this in my diet if I could afford it. There was more I just cant even remember. If something was new or I read about it having some great results I took it. That was WAAAAAAY back then when I first started and what I found was by a health diet you need nothing. I figure if I need a vitamin or mineral, it should come from my food. Now I just try (TRY) to eat as "clean" as possible and it has proven to give me the results that I want. That and kicking my own butt in the gym ;)


You see, when you go to the gym, make it count. If you are going to be there for 45-60 minutes, get yer ass movin and movin quick. Yes....it sucks. I in no way LOVE to sweat, get my hair messed up, make a total butt of myself running around and have people stare at me. But you know what?!? Who cares? When I go to the gym honestly I just want to get the hell outta there. I want to get in, bust my butt and get out. I don't want to talk to the old dudes there, I don't want to get hit on by gross dudes (I swear all the cute, NORMAL guys are taken) and I don't want to be stared at all day. I would rather blow in, get it done and blow out. At least I can go home and feel like I did something. I am a super busy person...I work a full time job, personal train, blog, volunteer and still find time to be social and play music on occasion. I don't have time to sit on a machine for 20 minutes. Sorry. I work smarter AND harder and that's the way I roll. Ok back to my original thought (sometimes I rant). I tried out this product GU CHOMPS and I have to say....It worked. I got these (I received the gel, chomps and powder) and they really helped with keeping me hydrated. I only ate these because they don't have any harmful chemicals and mainly because electrolyte's are what I need. I sweat. I mean SWEAT. I drink coconut water like it is going out of style and these little guys really did the trick. I didn't even have a whole serving. I only ate half but it was just fine. I didn't feel the energy boost that they claimed but I didn't feel worn out and dry like usual. I think that I am going to continue to try out the others now ;)


So now that is done lets head to lunch shall we?!?


Ahhhhh, another raw plate. I have to say...This weeks raw lunch and dinner has been amazing. I am in love with the way that my body feels after eating a huge plate of raw food. Light but I have enough energy for the whole day and the best part is, I am not starving...Bread almost always makes me hungry. Not so this week. I am not saying that I am going back 100% raw but I am saying that 80% is pretty darn fine with me. I cant wait until I can make smoothies again! Amazing grass...look out!


A very moody picture if I do say so myself ;)
Raw crackers with hummus (made from Living Tree Tahini, raw garbanzo beans, raw alive pistachio pesto, lime and garlic and herbs) with chopped heirloom tomatoes.



with a side of collard wraps.


The pine nuts were a great addition! You see...It is not that I am dieting...This is what my body is asking for. So, I am giving it what it wants. I swear, I craved this meal. I did exactly what I wanted. I wanted a cold plate so to speak and something crunchy but with tons of flavor. Did I mention pink Himalayan salt?!? I love it....I have this duo in the kitchen at all times! This cube of top-quality, hand-harvested rare sea salt that came with its own grater! Ethically collected, this gorgeous natural product comes from a protected source deep within the exotic and remote Himalaya Mountains. Bring it to your table to salt over all sorts of food, especially desserts. Some of the possibilities: edamame, ice cream, caramel, salads, grilled fish, watermelon, chocolate ganache, rice, beans, and raw vegetables. I use it and don't feel bad. I think that the minerals that you get from sea salt and pink salt are beneficial for you if used in moderation. I tell you what...Sea Salt and dark chocolate is one of my favorite things on this planet. OK, I have about 10 things that I can say that about but seriously, this rock is always ready to go in the kitchen and I have used it with just about everything I can think of. A little goes a long way!

Wow, I rambled today. I guess that is what happens when you miss a day. I took yesterday to catch up with all of you. I haven't been able to read any of YOUR blogs and I missed you guys so. I am glad to see that everyone is in the same boat as I am. Ready for spring, kicking it up a notch in the gym to prepare for summer and eating healthier than the heavy winter foods we all love dearly.


On to dinnah....I will get into this more (dont have the time nor the space right now) but I am going to be making a lot of chef Hugh Acheson's creations. I recently got asked to be a taste tester for his upcoming book! One of the things that I can do to help is try out his recipes and give feedback. You all know that I am all about new recipes (and photographing my eats) so this was simple for me to say yes. I wasnt sure what types of recipes would be offered and if I would even like them but so far sooooooo good! I have made two already and this soup was my dinner last night. It was to die for!!! I mean that. I LOVE peanut soup and this version was perfect. I wanted to make this because the weather is slowly warming up and you know that when it does, I tend to go towards cold food. I only wish I would have made this when I was going through my soup craze over the winter...Looking back, damn I ate a lot of soup over the winter. Ok, without further ado...


This soup actually had a avocado salsa. I have to say, the green and orange hues were gorgeous. I added some heat to mine and that is why it is so bright. More crackers were eaten with this. I will admit....multiply this by 2. I couldn't stop.... Oh so good. Expect to read a full post devoted to Hugh and who he is. I am in the process of digging up some info so you guys can get an idea of who he is and his food. I plan on making one of his dishes twice a week. I love the fact that most of his ingredients I have on hand. I am in the process of hunting down some fava beans, even if I have to order some! I am so happy to get to try new recipes and hopefully meet some new people.
OK, one last random thing...I am in the market for a new camera. I am going to bite the bullet and buy a new one (more than likely this weekend). Do you have a recommendation for a all purpose camera? A digital point and shoot with great quality shots? I am not looking for a SLR I want something that I can use everyday. Something fairly small and light. I want something to photograph food of course but for traveling and events as well. What is your favorite brand or camera?


I will be in and out this week but prepare yourselves for some great news that will be blogged about. (Sorry, I have to keep you waiting). I have some amazing, I mean AMAZING products to tell you about and some personal stuff. All I can say is....My dreams are coming true!

Whew! I am off and I will see you tomorrow! Have a great day.

-Heather