Monday, March 21, 2011

Spring Challenge

Hello all!

I have to say, it feels so darn good to be back. Blogging is something that I REALLY like to do and I find that it keeps me on track! I know your reading so it helps me make good decisions. I know that sounds funny but hey, whatever works though!


I am really wanting this week to be stellar as far as food and exercise and I am going to set the stage so to speak and make absolutely sure that I do just that. It's a new month so lets do this!!! I love to start a challenge and I want you to join me! First challenge that I want to set is: EATING 5-6 TIMES A DAY!




If you are trying to lose weight, you should get regular exercise and eat a healthy diet. You should consume five to six small meals daily instead of three large meals. If you eat often, your metabolism stays active all day long and you have more energy. Your blood sugar level will stay stable and you will be less likely to give into cravings for result-sabotaging foods.



1. Prepare your meals ahead of time. Have meals readily available so you are less likely to skip them. Invest in plastic food containers so you can easily transport foods if you need to. This is a tough one for most but I gotta tell you. If you do it once, you will be hooked. I cook my food for the whole week on Sundays and even though it takes me a few hours to do and I dislike it at the time, I am always glad that I did come Monday. Always.



2. Increase the number of times you eat each day gradually. Eat four portions per day for an entire week and increase to five small portions the next week. Add one more meal the following week to consume a total of six portions. Consume a small meal every two to three hours daily. If you dont want to worry about planning 5-6 different meals then do what I do sometimes. Take your three meals and divide it up into 6. Breakfast should be cut in half, eaten, and then the other half two to three hours later. Same for lunch and dinner. That is a easy way to get in 6 small meals and keep that metabolism in high gear!



3. Avoid restricting entire food groups. Include complex carbohydrates such as whole-grain bread, brown rice and whole-wheat pasta. Consume lean protein including tuna, chicken and turkey and eat unsaturated fats such as avocados, raw nuts and olive oil. Consume carbohydrates, protein and fats at a ratio of 40:30:30. This is a hard one for most. We all have what I like to call "fear foods". I will admit, I have a list myself of things that I just wont eat. I am however getting better at pushing the envelope and intern it is shocking my body. The main thing here is to keep your body guessing. This goes for exercise, and food.



4. Keep healthy snacks such as nuts, fruits or protein shakes with you at all times. Eat them when you experience cravings or instead of a meal.


5. Perform cardiovascular and strength training exercises, three days per week. Run, bike, swim or walk for at least 45 minutes to increase your metabolism. Work out with weights to increase muscle tissue and burn fat even when you are at rest.




These are just a few tips that I have! Now, lets commit to eating 5-6 times a day for the next week and then we will build on to it. What do you say?!?




I am also giving up my occasional beer for a glass of white wine. It is just something I need to do before it becomes a habit sooooo, just thought I would be honest and share this as well!


-Heather