Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Easy as Peas. Well, peppers!

This is a great dish. I go for this version of stuffed bell peppers around this time of year and it never disapoints! If you are serving your family, having friends over or just want a great week's worth of dinner, this is the recipe for you. Simple and easy, this dish screams EAT ME!!!



Quinoa is a favorite in my house. The name “keen-wah” sounds adventurous and exotic to Americans, but this “mother grain” is a staple in many other cultures. Quinoa is low on the glycemic index and contains a complete protein, making it a great addition to anyone’s diet. Since Quinoa is new to a lot of people (including me). I was not sure how to integrate it into my cooking. Since adding this complete protein to my diet I have made enchiladas with quinoa and even cookies with quinoa flakes. For this recipe, I cooked my red quinoa in my rice cooker! The rice cooker makes this recipe even more simple and weeknight friendly. I had a large number of assorted peppers to use, so this recipe serves eight.

















RED QUINOA STUFFED PEPPERS
2 cups red quinoa
4 cups water
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 green onions, both white and green parts diced
1/4 tsp salt
2 diced tomatoes
Dash of Italian seasoning
3 small fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 small fresh oregano leaves, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
1/2 of a jalapeno to 1 whole jalapeno, chopped (depending on preference)
8 assorted bell peppers
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup cilantro
1 bunch kale, chopped (I like the taste and texture of kale in this dish, however, another leafy green could be sub’d in like spinach)
Squeeze of lime juice


AVOCADO TOPPING
2 avocados
juice of one lime
salt to taste




















DIRECTIONS:
Prepare your bell peppers- Hollow out, cut the membranes from the peppers, and make sure they can stand upright. Place them in a 9 x 13 dish. I do not like my bell peppers pre-cooked. If you do, boil them for a few minutes. I prefer the texture of the peppers to be crisp-tender (and overall prep to be easier) so I do not precook my bell peppers. Cook the red quinoa. This was a no-brainer for me because I used pre-rinsed red quinoa and threw mine in the rice cooker. Heat oil in a large deep skillet over med. heat. Cook the onions for two to three minutes. Add the salt. Add the kale and wilt (will take just a few minutes). Mix in the cilantro, jalapeno, basil, and oregano. Squeeze with lime juice. Remove from heat. Add the red quinoa, diced tomatoes and mix until combined. Fill eight peppers! Cover the 9 x 13 dish with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. While the peppers are cooking, mash two avocados with a fork, squeeze lime juice over the top, and salt in a small bowl. Top with peppers with the avocado mixture or serve on the side.
Serves 8!




I am telling you, the aroma of these peppers will make you drool. If you want a crowd pleaser or even if you just want to pleaser yer self, go for it! This paired with a butternut squash soup and you have the most elegant dinner! Packed full of protein, veggies and vitamins, this dish is sure to fuel you everytime!





Hope this week was a good one! I know that I couldnt be happier to see the end of a stressful work week. Hope you all have a great weekend! See you Monday.



-Heather