Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Living tree tasting


Good morning! April is SO close!
I have been sooo busy this week with so many things. I gotta say. April is going to fly by, I can already tell. I love the Spring and Summer. I get so much done and it seems that I am on the go until about 9:00 p.m. I am so excited to see the weather getting up into the 80's this week! The summer clothes are coming out! I am ready.

The Living Tree was so wonderful yet again to send me some amazing products. I just cant tell you enough how great Mr. Schwartz (president of The Living Tree) really is. This is by far my favorite company and my favorite products in the world.This small company knows about raw,living foods. Created in Berkeley, California, a wellspring of the human spirit. Over 21 Nobel Prize winners have taught there.


I have eaten jar after jar of raw almond butter but nothing compares to this one!




Almonds are a premier source of vitamin E. One ounce of almonds (about 23 almonds) contains 35 percent of the Daily Value for vitamin E. Since the National Academy of Sciences increased the recommended daily allowance (RDA) for this important antioxidant in 2001, many Americans aren't getting enough of the essential nutrient.The Almond Board of California continues to invest in research on the impact of antioxidants on chronic diseases, such as heart disease and diabetes, revealing some promising results.


In a Nutshell: Vitamin E is an important antioxidant that is essential to overall well-being. Almonds are one of the best food sources of alpha-tocopherol vitamin E, which the National Academies of Sciences has identified as the only type of vitamin E that makes itself available to cells in the circulatory system. According to the 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans (see chart below) almonds rank strongly among food containing alpha-tocopherol vitamin E, and one ounce of almonds contains 7.4 milligrams or 35 percent of the Daily Value of this nutrient. Now according to the latest research, Vitamin E reduces the risk of lung cancer. Check out the full report here. Also recent research indicates that Vitamin E inhibits prostrate cancer.For more information please click here. They also have 20% of the USRDA of Vitamin B2, and 20% dietary fiber. Almonds are high in monounsaturated fats (the "good" kind) and are known to help lower cholesterol.


I LOVE almond butter, especially like this!

Spread almond butter on top of the raw bar recipe that I made last week. Top it with some fresh fruit and you have yourself a power breakfast!

I also got some pecan butter! Pecan butter is the BEST butter to stuff dates with....trust me on this one.

The pecan was the food of Native Americans for millenia. One of the most nutritious of nuts. Pecans are loaded with heart-healthy unsaturated fats and recently published studies show that pecan consumption can help lower cholesterol.


Banana, raw coconut and raw pecan butter. Heaven on earth...


I also got two other products that rocked my world!I received Raw Tahini and Alive Tomato Pesto!

Here is the Tahini up close and personal...This is the most amazing Tahini I have ever tried...I made some alive hummus that was to die for (I have been saying that a lot lately but seriously, it's true every time I say it)...Keep reading to see how to make some of your own!


Living Tree does not grind,rather they slice the sesame seeds,let them rest overnight and then slice again.They invite you to savor the flavor and ponder the texture. Mix tahini with their Living Tree Alive Organic Honey and you have halvah, a Middle Eastern delight!
Made from mechanically hulled sesame seeds of outstanding quality.


Here's the Sun-dried Tomato and Almond Pesto.



Created with sun dried tomatoes, almonds, sesame seeds, basil, thyme, garlic and Living Tree Alive Olive Oil. Delight family and friends with simple and quick hors d'hoeuvres: Swirl this pesto on flax seed crackers or cucumber slices. Great with carrot and celery sticks too. Spoon in some Pesto into a bell pepper for alive stuffed peppers.Contains a dash of curry powder. Tumeric is the spice that gives curry its kick. Its a clinically proven antioxidant. When I first tasted this pesto I knew that it would be perfect on any vegetable, pasta, bread or cracker. However, since I got the tahini too, I had to make some hummus stat. I allowed many to try these products out and they ALL got raving reviews. I swear this hummus was so easy and because of the amazing pesto...It really needed to be put in the blender and served. Check it out. I made three different types of hummus. Black olive Pistachio, Sun-dried tomato and almond and lastly and "Original" hummus. All served with fresh organic veggies. Delightful! Here is my Sun dried Tomato Almond Hummus recipe!


-One can of organic garbanzo beans (I like no salt added)

-Two heaping tablespoons of Living Tree Raw Tahini

-Two tablespoons of Raw Sun-dried Tomato Almond Pesto

-1 lime squeezed to death

Blend and blend and blend.


I pour a little of the water from the garbanzo beans in the dip because I like my hummus spreadable. Depending on how thick you like your hummus you can add water or not.


I love this hummus! Because the pesto is packed full of flavor and amazing olive oil. I didnt have to add anything to the the hummus but the essentials and pesto mix. So easy and oh so good! I have been snacking on hummus and veggies almost every day for lunch. It is GREAT as a dip, on sandwiches (try hummus instead of mayo next time), even as a pasta sauce! Add hummus to your marinara and see what happens. It makes it creamy! No dairy so it would be great for vegans or if you are lactose intolerant. I have even stuffed chicken with a chunky hummus and fresh basil! Hummus can be used for so many things, just use your imagination...I cant wait to make Halvah! I have yet to make it and all you have to do is mix tahini and raw honey together...

I doubt that I even have to say this....I LOVE AND ADORE THE LIVING TREE PRODUCTS. In fact, I dare you to try some out!

Go to their site....NOW!




I promise you wont be sorry you did.

Mr.Schwartz, thank you a MILLION times, you make my whole month every time I get something from you! I am going to yelp about it ;)

-Heather